Storytelling, or raconteuring, is one of the most understated forms of American art. Regrettably, many of the tellers of fables, feats, and frontline experiences are no longer here to spin those stories one more time. Even sadder, most of those tales were never recorded, catalogued, or otherwise archived.
The Sports Racx looks to gather the best storytellers from the playing fields, locker rooms, grandstands, periphery and shadows of sport. Nothing fancy or formal, Steven Maggi holds court in an over-cocktails- style sit down with people who make us laugh and stare in open-jawed amazement with their behind-the-scenes anecdotes that we probably never heard before. And if we did hear them, they often come with a fresh new spin and varnish.
We’re not necessarily interested in big names and A-listers. We’re looking to present the voices that really have something to say; the watchers and observers who mentally catalogued their experiences and are just plain entertaining and fun; bring offbeat and insightful perspective. The people you want to hang out with.
The spirit of this show may have been influenced by a longing for newspaper columnists such as Red Smith, Jimmy Breslin, Jim Murray and Pete Hamill, who enlivened their pages with real life characters seemingly picked from the pages of Charles Dickens, Ring Lardner and Damon Runyon.
Jon Kingdon, former college scouting director of the Oakland Raiders
· Life with the Oakland Raiders and Al Davis.
Shaun Assael, author and award-winning investigative journalist
· The life and very difficult times of Sonny Liston.
Rob Meich, sportswriter and author
· The incredible story of UCLA’s Ed O’Bannon.
Jim Quinn, accomplished trial lawyer and meditor
· How free agency changed professional sports.
Jeffrey Sussman, renowned author of numerous boxing books
· The story of Boxing and the mob.
Andrew Maraniss, author
· The story of Perry Wallace, the first African-American to play college basketball in the Southeastern Conference.
sports broadcast historian and former play-by-play voice of the Miami Heat
· The importance of Howard Cosell and the world of sports.
Daniel James Brown, author
· The story of nine Americans and their quest for gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics.
Chris Jericho, professional wrestler
· Life of a superstar in the world of pro wrestling.
Ken Safarowic, author
The story of Hall of Fame Linebacker/Center Chuck Bednarik of the Philadelphia Eagles.